Smartphones have inserted themselves into our lives, and that includes in the car. Unfortunately, too many people think it is okay to answer a text or take a picture while operating a motor vehicle. As a matter of fact, crashes and severe injuries occur as a result of distractions like cell phones every day in Lakeland. A distracted driving accident attorney may be able to help you if you were involved in a car crash. In 2016, over 34,000 car accidents occurred in America, with an even higher fatality rate of 37,000 people. Because of their prevalence, one should be aware of what to do in the event of a collision.
What to Do After a Car Accident
Often, people involved in accidents caused by distracted drivers must go to court with the help of a distracted driving accident attorney. When in such a situation, acting efficiently and smartly can be critical to the outcome of your case. Here are some things to do immediately after an incident, whether in the Lakeland area or elsewhere:
- Do not drive away from the scene. Drivers and others involved should always remain in place after the event, or else they risk arrest. Furthermore, if a person sees someone injured, they need to get them assistance, so call the police and emergency services as soon as possible.
- Gather documentation. A distracted driving accident attorney will recommend gathering as much evidence as possible. This evidence may include license plate numbers, vehicle descriptions, the location of the crash, and eyewitnesses. Take photographs of both vehicles if doing so is not dangerous.
- Contact your insurance agency. You need to find out if the insurance company will cover any medical care or property damage from the crash. Act as quickly as possible to get the best results. However, it is critical that you speak to an attorney before giving a statement.
- Get in touch with legal assistance. Often, car accidents come with legal problems that need a solution. Regardless of the severity of the incident, complications can easily arise. A Lakeland area distracted driving accident attorney can prove to be a valuable resource for any questions.
Common Causes of Distracted Driving
Defensive driving is one of the best ways to ensure road safety in Lakeland and anywhere else in the world. This includes not losing your driving focus to devices, passengers, and other common distractions in the car. Psychological studies show that most people rate their multitasking ability far higher than it is. Humans are not designed to multitask with important matters, as it involves constantly switching between two or more subjects and dividing the attention. Continuous task-switching can take a large efficiency toll, especially for complex tasks such as operating a motor vehicle.
- Do not text and drive. Despite the nationwide push against this dangerous practice in recent years, texting and driving is still widespread in America. The penalties for texting and driving vary by state. Contact a distracted driving accident attorney for thorough information regarding your area’s laws. A driver in Utah, for example, risks a fine of up to $750 if caught, and up to $10,000 and several years in jail if they cause a crash. More leniently, an offender in Lakeland, Florida can incur a $25 fine for the first violation. However, more dire consequences, which no amount of money can amend, may happen. The annual fatality rate from this distracted driving numbers in the thousands.
- Abide by the rules. Breaking road regulations such as the speed limit, right-of-way, or stop signs and stoplights is a prevalent cause of crashes. One should remember that breaking the rules is not worth the danger to themselves and others.
Contact Dismuke Law
If you have been involved in a car accident, and need a distracted driving accident attorney, call the professionals. Dismuke Law in Lakeland offers experienced legal aid to help for better odds of getting the best possible outcome. Contact us now at 1-800-ASK-DAVE.